Microbial Diagnostics and Characterisation – Whiley Group
Associate Professor David Whiley manages the Microbial Diagnostics and Characterisation Lab, which is a joint initiative of Pathology Queensland and UQCCR. This Lab focuses on enhancing the capacity of clinical laboratories to diagnose, identify and characterise bacteria, with an emphasis on respiratory and sexually transmitted infections.
The Lab’s particular research interest is antibiotic-resistant gonorrhoea. The aim is to improve antibiotic-resistant surveillance in areas where current surveillance activities are limited.
- Infectious disease diagnostics
- Neisseria gonorrhoeae antimicrobial resistance
- Molecular detection and characterisation of sexually transmitted infections
- Pseudomonas aeruginosa infection in patients with cystic fibrosis
- Mycobacterium infection – detection and resistance
- Rapid detection of key antimicrobial resistance genes, including carbapenemases and methylases